"When the wine goes in, strange things come out." ~Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller, The Piccolomini, 1799

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Concept

I remember working behind the bar. I loved it, made lots of friends and a ton of money. I had several regulars and the key was remembering exactly what they wanted before they even asked for it; making them feel like they were special.

One gentleman would come in every day after work and have one martini, just one, but he liked it the way he liked it. Pour a little vermouth into the glass, swirl it around, pour it out, add the gin, three olives and serve. My purpose was never to have the drink waiting for him when he sat down, but to let him watch the ritual that I would go through to make his martini exactly the way he wanted it. It made him feel special. When my guests attend my home now, I want them to feel the same way. I want to have what they like to drink on hand and I want to make it the way they like it.

In this blog you are likely to find a host of things and, it will evolve over time. I will post recipes I have created or modified, techniques I have learned, the history of certain things or interesting origins. It remains to be seen what comes of this experiment, but if nothing else, I hope that someone may be inspired to 'enjoy a drink' rather than 'having a drink'.

Until then,

Drink with Care, Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment